phpBB2 jabber support
- current release
This article is here for archival purposes; it's contents are no longer supported.
This phpBB modification gives users the ability to add their Jabber account details to their profile, by entering them into their profile page. When they do so a Jabber icon is then displayed below any posts they make, which links to their user profile containing their Jabber details. Additionally, in the /contrib/ directory you will find my XMPP URI 'meta-modification'. Finally, thanks to the efforts of Christian Hartmann, phpBB Administrators can now view and change their users' Jabber details in their ACP in the same way as they can for the IM networks supported by phpBB 'out of the box' (eg MSNM, AIM, etc).
The current version number is 1.1.0, it and three previous versions (1.0.6, 1.0.4 & 1.0.1), have been validated by the phpBB MOD Validation team, as such this modification's official support thread is located here.
This modification is Free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
The viewtopic.php page:
The profile.php page:
The Administrator Control Panel:
Because there's no standardised image used to identify the Jabber protocol beyond a lightbulb image, two potential buttons have been prepared for this modification. The first image was made by ian! and the second one by Ploum-Ploum. As of version 1.0.6 of this Modification, at the request of the phpBB MOD validation team only the first image is included within the zip archive, but i'm keeping the alternate image here for those users who may prefer it.
The first Jabber Button:
The second Jabber Button:
By default, the Jabber icon simply links to the user's profile page which displays their Jabber details in the form firstname.lastname@example.org, rather than using the xmpp: URI, as defined in the XMMP URI draft specification; this is due to the current lack of support for this URI 'out-of-the-box' with contemporary browsers (Mozilla Suite & Firefox users, however, can use this hack). If you wish to use the xmpp: URI anyway then you can download the current version (1.1.0) of the modification and retrieve the XMPP URI 'meta-modification' from the /contrib/ directory.
Various versions of this modification have been sucessfully installed on many phpBB 2.0.10 - 2.0.20 installations without any problems, including the Gentoo forums and my own forums.ptlis.net and does not conflict with the phpBB GTalk (Google Talk) MOD. To see which release of this Modification is most suitable for your phpBB installation consult the download table below.
version: release date: changelog: download: 1.1.0 2006-04-10 view zip (6Kb) 1.0.6 2006-03-05 view zip (6Kb) 1.0.5 2006-02-09 view zip (7Kb) 1.0.4 2005-09-15 view zip (7Kb) 1.0.3 2005-08-23 view zip (7Kb) 1.0.2 2005-08-23 view zip (7Kb) 1.0.1 2005-02-22 view zip (7Kb)
- version 1.1.0 - 2006-04-10:
- Total rewrite to coincide with the release of 2.0.20 which more fully integrates the use of Jabber than previous versions
- version 1.0.6 - 2006-03-05:
- Fixed another incompatibility introduced by the phpBB team when they updated the codebase to 2.0.18
- version 1.0.5 - 2006-02-09:
- Fixed an incompatibility introduced by the phpBB team when they updated the codebase to 2.0.19
- version 1.0.4 - 2005-09-15:
- Fixed another issue so the MOD now conforms to the new MOD template.
- version 1.0.3 - 2005-09-11:
- Updated the modification to conform to the new MOD template
- version 1.0.2 - 2005-08-23:
- Cleaned up the larger find statements in the hopes that this will alow this modification to integrate more seamlessly with boards that contain other modifications.
- Verified that this mod works with the phpBB 2.0.17 release.
- version 1.0.1 - 2005-03-01:
- Fixed MOD template issues flagged by the phpBB MOD validation team
- version 1.0.0 - 2005-02-22:
- Clarified instructions relating to the jabber icon.
- Verified that this mod works with the phpBB 2.0.12 release.
- Initial submission to the Mod database
- version 0.0.6 - 2005-02-20:
- Combined ACP section from ian!'s Jabber mod.
- Added missing copy statement.
- Cleaned up & standardised format of modification.
- version 0.0.5 - 2005-01-10:
- Fixed error to (hopefully) make this mod EasyMod compliant (one more error to go...).
- version 0.0.4 - 2004-12-26:
- Fixed error to (hopefully) make this mod EasyMod compliant.
- Checked to ensure it works with phpBB 2.0.11.
- version 0.0.3 - 2004-10-06:
- Minor change to make things more clear.
- version 0.0.2 - 2004-09-17:
- Fixed a language error and added border="0" to image tags so it's standard with the SubSilver theme.
- version 0.0.1 - 2004-08-19:
- Initial release of this mod.